Saturday, February 5, 2011

Reminders of Love

I was reminded by my dad the other day.  Not reminded of, but reminded by.  I got into my car and briefly smelled my dad.  It brought a smile to my face.  It was a smell of cigarettes and whiskey.  Not an unpleasant odor by any means, even though it sounds rather icky. It is the way my dad smelled.  He smoked Camel cigarettes and loved his whiskey.  It's not that same smell of stale smoke, alcohol, and cologne you smell upon walking into an old bar.  This was my dad.  Fresh tobacco, a light scent of an American whiskey, and a smile.  Yep, that was my dad.

My car has never had cigarette smoke in it.  I haven't smoked a cigarette in over a decade.  And, no opened alcohol of any kind has been in my car.  In fact, my dad has never been in my car.  You see, he passed on quite some time ago.  Before the new VW bugs were ever designed.

I like to think of this event as a visit.  Much like the visits I have in my dreams.  Sometimes, those people I have loved who have passed on, show up in my dreams.  When I wake up after having such a dream, I have such a good feeling.  You would think I would have sadness, but I don't.  I have been visited by each and every one of those loved ones at one time or another.

These little visits are reminders of love.  Love that is not gone because someone dies.  Love that is not gone because we cannot see nor touch that person.  Just plain and pure love. Kinda makes you think, doesn't it?

No comments: