Saturday, July 20, 2013

Anticipation...a fancy word for wait and see

It is a grey morning. No sun shining in the many windows on the east side of the house.  A storm is brewing in from the southwest.  Spring is here.  I sit here wanting to write something.  The news comes on to tell about a big storm on its way.  They have been breaking in every half hour for the last hour and a half that I have been up.  Rain, hail, thunder, and lightning.  Oh yeah, don't forget the gusty winds. Yep, sounds like a storm to me.

Living in the Midwest, I swear you can see a storm five days away.  No mountains within hundreds of miles. Sounds boring doesn't it?  It's not.  We are waiting with our umbrellas, weather radios, and a clear path to the basement (you never know). You see, anticipation is what our lives are about.  I would add it to the list of things that bring joy.....and peace......and clarity.......and contentment.

Anticipation is what you do before the big change.  If you couple anticipation with plan then you really have something good.  I try to incorporate a bit of anticipation in all aspects of my life.

Anticipate, according to dictionary dot com, is an expectation....a hope. To foresee, to look forward to, to expect.  I like all that. Isn't that what we are supposed to do?  I think so. It provides purpose to all actions or our lives.  If I were to come up with the opposite of anticipate, I would say dread.  Let's not go THERE.

Examples of some of the events we anticipate are:

Vacations and Trips.  Holidays.  Birthdays.  Sporting events.  Concerts.  Births.  Deaths.  Homecomings.  Taxes.  The next meal.  Payday.  The Amazing Race.  Reading a book.  Appointments.  Pray time.  Meditation time. Seasons.  The garden.  Children.  Marriage.  Love. Gift giving. Healing.  Health.

Simply put, anticipation is what puts the zing into life.

No comments: